Invest2 distinct publishers3 min readUpdated
The reserve fell below 300 million barrels for the first time since the 1980s, and the argument is no longer about willingness to release oil. It is about salt.
The Investor · Invest desk

Compiled by The InvestorSomething wrong?How this is made
The Strategic Petroleum Reserve dropped below 300 million barrels last week for the first time since the 1980s, when the stockpile was still being filled, according to the Department of Energy [1]. The reason that matters is not the headline number but the possibility that the reserve's practical floor is set by the condition of the caverns holding the oil rather than by anyone's policy choice [5].
The inventory is expected to fall further to 243 million barrels as the United States releases 172 million barrels to manage supply disruptions and rising energy costs tied to the Iran war [2]. That path implies roughly 57 million barrels of additional net decline from the level already reached [1]. The oil sits in 60 salt caverns across two sites in Texas and two in Louisiana, thousands of feet down, with total storage capacity of 714 million barrels [3]. At 243 million barrels, the reserve would hold about 34 percent of that capacity [2].
"I don't know anyone who believes we can go below 300," Amos Hochstein, a senior energy adviser to former President Joe Biden, told CNBC on Saturday. "I know plenty of people who think we can't get near 300 because physically you will damage the caverns where the oil is stored" [5]. The Department of Energy rejects that. "The caverns are always full. All that changes is the ratio of oil and water that is filling them," DOE chief spokesperson Ben Dietderich told Fortune, adding that the SPR is being managed responsibly as a national security asset [6].
Both sides are describing the same physical fact. Because total fluid volume must stay at 714 million barrels, operators pump fresh water in as oil comes out to hold pressure stable, according to Siddharth Misra, an associate professor of petroleum engineering and geophysics at Texas A&M [7]. Misra says that water "aggressively dissolves the salt walls," widening each cavern and thinning the walls between adjacent chambers, while injecting cool water into naturally warmer formations can cause thermal shock, breaking off large pieces of salt that may damage extraction pipes [8]. He also notes the caverns were built in the 1970s and 1980s with an initial 25-year design life and were engineered for about five drawdown and refill cycles, but have absorbed dozens of releases [9].
The Government Accountability Office found that as of May most caverns were in "very good condition," in a report made public in June, while warning that "every drawdown cycle expands cavern volume and reduces the spacing between caverns within the salt dome, which ultimately reduces their long-term viability" [10].
The cost side is already on the record. Energy Secretary Chris Wright testified to a House Energy and Commerce subcommittee in 2025 that refilling was hampered by more than $100 million in needed repairs, which he attributed to the speed of the Biden administration's sale of nearly 200 million barrels in 2022 and 2023 [11]. The current release of 172 million barrels is roughly 86 percent the size of the drawdown Wright blamed for that damage [3].
DOE puts the minimum operating level at 70 million barrels [12], which leaves 173 million barrels of nominal headroom below 243 million [4]. Misra says current levels still present a real risk [13].
Watch three things: whether the release actually runs to 243 million barrels or stalls earlier; whether repair estimates move above the $100 million figure Wright cited [11]; and whether DOE publishes cavern-by-cavern integrity data rather than the assurance that the caverns are always full [6].
Follow any of these and your For You feed starts watching them — no settings page required.
Ranked by verification strength, evidence, and original report placement.
Last week the Strategic Petroleum Reserve plunged below 300 million barrels for the first time since the 1980s, when the reserves were being filled, according to the Department of Energy; strategic oil inventories have reached a 40-year low.
The SPR is expected to drain further to 243 million barrels as the U.S. releases 172 million barrels to manage severe supply disruptions and rising energy costs due to the Iran war.
The reserves are kept in 60 salt caverns across two sites in Texas and two sites in Louisiana, each thousands of feet underground, with total storage capacity of 714 million barrels.
Amos Hochstein, a senior energy advisor for former President Joe Biden, told CNBC on Saturday: 'I don't know anyone who believes we can go below 300. I know plenty of people who think we can't get near 300 because physically you will damage the caverns where the oil is stored.'
The Department of Energy denied Hochstein's claim that changing inventory levels risk harming the caverns. DOE chief spokesperson Ben Dietderich told Fortune: 'The caverns are always full. All that changes is the ratio of oil and water that is filling them,' adding that President Trump and Energy Secretary Chris Wright are responsibly managing the SPR as the critical national security asset it was designed to be.
During drawdowns the total fluid volume inside the facilities must always remain at 714 million barrels, meaning operators must pump fresh water into the facilities to keep pressure stable, according to Siddharth Misra, associate professor of petroleum engineering and geophysics at Texas A&M University.
Evidence-backed comparisons of source perspectives and observed adoption signals. Read the methodology
Which Builder, Operator, and Investor concerns the observed source mix emphasized—not a truth score.
Evidence, demonstrated adoption, hype gap, incentives, and confidence are assessed independently, each on its own current evidence. How these are measured.
One well-sourced report, single-expert engineering case
The inventory milestone is documented by DOE data and independently echoed by a second publisher. The cavern-integrity thesis rests on one named academic engineer plus a former Biden advisor's remarks, is directly denied by DOE, and is only partly corroborated by GAO, which found most caverns in very good condition while warning about cumulative cycle effects. No engineering study, inspection data or cost model is presented.
Drawdown is real and ongoing; projected floor not yet reached
The behavior in question — deep, repeated drawdowns — is documented and in progress: the reserve is already below 300 million barrels and a 172 million barrel release is underway, with dozens of historical cycles against a five-cycle design. The 243 million barrel end state remains a projection, and the physical consequences GAO would measure are cumulative rather than realized.
Damage framing runs ahead of measured cavern condition
Headline framing that depletion 'threatens damaging' the caverns is stronger than the strongest independent evidence available, which is a GAO finding that most caverns were in very good condition as of May plus a warning about long-run cumulative effects. DOE denies the mechanism, the projected balance still leaves large nominal headroom above the 70 million barrel minimum, and the specific damage mechanisms come from one expert. The gap is moderate rather than large because Wright's repair testimony and GAO's caveat give the concern a real basis.
Cavern health is openly used as partisan ammunition
The reporting itself notes both parties use cavern status as political ammo. The floor warning comes from a former Biden administration energy advisor; the denial comes from the current administration's DOE, whose secretary has separately blamed his predecessors' drawdown for more than $100 million in repairs. The market-facing publisher is promoting a prediction-market analytics signup alongside its pricing commentary. Incentives to shade the physical question in either direction are strong and disclosed.
Milestone solid, physical thesis unresolved
High confidence in the inventory numbers, the release, the storage footprint and the on-record statements. Low-to-moderate confidence in whether the sub-300 million barrel level is a genuine geological floor, because the engineering case is single-sourced, disputed by the operator, and only partially supported by the one independent oversight document cited.
invest
The SPR Falls Below 300 Million Barrels, And With It A Free Option You Were Holding1 distinct publisher
product
Urenco's 50% US enrichment expansion lands in 2032, four years after the Russian fuel ban1 distinct publisher
product
TerraPower hires a builder: Hyundai E&C signed for up to eight Natrium units1 distinct publisher
invest
Nvidia's newest product is credit: $3bn into SB Energy, $250bn behind OpenAI's rent1 distinct publisher
Distinct publishers with included, body-backed reporting in this cluster.
cryptobriefing.com
1 article · August 17, 2026
fortune.com
1 article · August 17, 2026