Published · 3d agoScience3 min read
NASA's $30 million Swift rescue ends without a capture, and Hubble is next in the queue
Katalyst's Link spacecraft never got close enough to grab the sinking telescope. Swift now reenters later this year, and on-orbit rescue remains a demonstration, not a planning assumption.
Written for builders.See today for builders

What happened
- The mission to save NASA's sinking Swift Observatory was called off Wednesday; NASA and Katalyst Space Technologies announced that Link will not attempt to capture Swift and boost it to a higher orbit because of problems with controlling the spacecraft.
- In a LinkedIn post, Katalyst said the company and NASA had agreed that, due to ongoing spacecraft control issues, "the mission will not include the capture and boost of NASA's Neil Gehrels Swift Observatory."
- NASA paid $30 million to Katalyst in an attempt to raise the telescope to a safer, longer-lasting orbit.
- NASA said the decision means the telescope will plunge through the atmosphere after more than 20 years of tracking events such as gamma ray bursts and exploding stars.
- Swift's demise is not expected before October.
Compiled by The ScientistSomething wrong?How this is made
Why it matters
NASA and Katalyst Space Technologies said Wednesday that the company's Link spacecraft will not attempt to capture and boost the Neil Gehrels Swift Observatory, because of continuing problems controlling the vehicle [1][2]. NASA had paid $30 million for the boost, and what it got instead is a proximity-operations experiment next to a telescope that will reenter the atmosphere later this year, no earlier than October [3][4][5].
The mechanics of the failure are ordinary and therefore instructive. Link launched in early July and went into an uncontrollable spin a few weeks later [6]. On July 28 NASA said hardware malfunctions had caused the tumble and that communications with the spacecraft were sporadic [7]. Controllers slowed the spin using the same xenon-gas thrusters that were meant to lift Swift, but pointing and positioning problems persisted [8][9].
The schedule was the other variable. NASA found Swift's orbit decaying faster than expected because of intense solar activity, which set a hard deadline, and Katalyst had nine months to design, build and launch Link, a spacecraft intended to grab the telescope with robotic arms [10][11][12]. Chief executive Ghonhee Lee described it as an ambitious mission on an aggressive timeline put together in under a year, and said the company took on a high-risk, high-reward challenge and had already learned a great deal [13][14]. NASA Administrator Jared Isaacman said the outcome was not what the team worked toward but does not change why the mission was worth attempting [15].
The cost to science is concrete. Swift launched in 2004 and its instruments were switched off earlier this year to slow the descent, so the observations stopped before the rescue did [16][17]. As of Wednesday the telescope was at 214 miles, against the 373-mile orbit Katalyst hoped to restore, a shortfall of 159 miles [18][19][20]. Scientific American reports that Swift's loss leaves a gap in high-energy observations that is unlikely to be filled soon [21].
The planning consequence is larger than one telescope. Hubble, now 36 years old, is also losing altitude because of solar activity and had been next in line for a servicing attempt if this one had gone well; whether that is still on the table was not immediately known [22][23][24]. Programs writing mission-extension into their risk plans should note that the money bought a launch, a spin and a set of lessons, not the orbit.
Katalyst will keep flying Link near Swift to gather data for future rescue work, and Lee says the aim is a repeatable playbook for rendezvous, proximity operations and servicing [25][26]. Three things to watch: whether the proximity campaign produces enough engineering data to make the $30 million defensible [3][25], the actual reentry date once atmospheric drag is measured against the October estimate [5], and what NASA now says about Hubble [24].
Claim ledger
Ranked by verification strength, evidence, and original report placement.
- [1]
The mission to save NASA's sinking Swift Observatory was called off Wednesday; NASA and Katalyst Space Technologies announced that Link will not attempt to capture Swift and boost it to a higher orbit because of problems with controlling the spacecraft.
ReportedView cited source - [2]
In a LinkedIn post, Katalyst said the company and NASA had agreed that, due to ongoing spacecraft control issues, "the mission will not include the capture and boost of NASA's Neil Gehrels Swift Observatory."
ReportedView cited source - [3]
NASA paid $30 million to Katalyst in an attempt to raise the telescope to a safer, longer-lasting orbit.
ReportedView cited source - [4]
NASA said the decision means the telescope will plunge through the atmosphere after more than 20 years of tracking events such as gamma ray bursts and exploding stars.
ReportedView cited source - [6]
The rescue spacecraft went into an uncontrollable spin a few weeks after its liftoff in early July.
ReportedView cited source
Sources & coverage · 6 publishers
The reporting this story was synthesized from, earliest first. Every link goes to the original.
- scientificamerican.com3d agoNASA calls off rescue mission for its falling Swift space telescope
- newscientist.comJonathan O’Callaghan3d agoNASA calls off rescue effort to save doomed telescope


