Skip to content

Invest1 publisher2 min readPublished

Rising costs keep one analyst from buying Torex Gold at US$49.50 as Media Luna ramps up

Torex Gold reported about 93,700 payable gold-equivalent ounces while costs rose sharply, Seeking Alpha analyst Taylor Dart wrote. He calls the stock reasonably valued yet sees too little margin of safety at US$49.50 to start a position.

The Investor · Invest desk

Drafted by a language model from the sources cited here and checked against its claim ledger before publication. How we use AISend a correction

Illustration accompanying Rising costs keep one analyst from buying Torex Gold at US$49.50 as Media Luna ramps up
Generated illustration

What happened

  • Dart attributes most of the sharp rise in Torex's costs to factors outside the company's control.
  • Precious-metal prices fell again from the prior quarter, and a strong peso added to the pressure on Torex.
  • Copper prices, which outperformed most commodities in the third quarter, give Torex only a minor offset.

Compiled by The InvestorSomething wrong?How this is made

Why it matters

  • exposure Torex's margin now depends on metal prices and the peso, which Dart says it does not control, so management has few levers to restore it before those markets move.
  • decision New buyers have to choose between paying US$49.50 now for a stock Dart calls reasonably valued and waiting for the second-half cash to be reported.
  • capability With the tax payments already made, second-half cash from rising grades can show up as free cash flow without being diverted to those bills.

Torex reported roughly 93,700 payable gold-equivalent ounces as Media Luna ramps up [1][9], and the costs against those ounces went the wrong way [2]. The offset comes later. Torex cleared its PTU and mining tax bills in the first half [5], so the cash it generates later in the year does not have to cover them, and Dart expects that cash to be strong as grades increase [6].

Dart's answer for a buyer today is to wait. "I don't see enough margin of safety at US$49.50 to justify starting a new position, and while Torex remains reasonably valued, I see more attractive bets elsewhere," he wrote [7]. He calls the stock fairly priced and still declines to buy, because he wants a wider gap between price and his own estimate of value before committing money. He holds no position and has no plans to open one within 72 hours [8]. The note does not tell holders to sell.

The summary does not include an all-in sustaining cost figure or a net asset value, so the size of the discount Dart wants cannot be checked from it.

Precious-metal prices could recover, or the peso could weaken, and margins would widen with no action from Torex, since those are the pressures Dart names [3]. The second-half cash could arrive as strong as he expects [6], and a buyer who waited would then pay more for a company that had already shown the cash. Or the costs he treats as external could turn out to be partly Torex's own, and the stock would have a harder second half than the grade story implies [2].

I think Dart's position is the sensible one for new money, for a narrow reason. The cost rise is a reported number and the cash offset is a forecast, and a buyer at US$49.50 is paying for the forecast before it has been tested. The view is wrong if Torex reports strong second-half free cash flow while precious-metal prices stop falling, because then the margin of safety was there all along and waiting cost the entry. Copper will not decide it, since Dart describes its contribution as a minor offset [4].

What to watch

  • Torex's second-half results, which will show whether rising grades produce the strong free cash flow Dart expects.
  • Precious-metal prices and the peso after another quarter-over-quarter decline in metal prices.
  • Whether Torex's costs ease as the outside factors Dart cites reverse, or stay high and point to costs inside the company.
Loading claim ledger
Loading source directory links
Loading share composer
Loading topic controls
Loading related stories